Thursday, April 16, 2009

On Terry - oh


The first one does not have a countdown. It is planned and has an era of beginning, but no seconds to count. Instead, there is a lot of confirmation. At the bottom of the hill, right? Heads turning. Now? Are we going now? Bleep, bleep, bleep. Garmins are set and it is on-the-gas for three minutes. BW is anxious to BTP and takes an early lead, as expected. BJS, WB (cameo appearance) and myself settle into a similar rhythm just off the pace. With 15 seconds to go, we are all nuts to buts and about to head up a short little riser. I jockey for position and put the 18lb SS hardtail in first place coming out of turn four; so to speak.
The remainder of the intervals go somewhat similar, with different triumphs along the way. There was an explosion of power at the end of one of the two minute reps; an out-of-the-saddle full bore sprint - impressive. It was BW making sure he got his notch for the day. BJS won a couple, of course, complaining all the while that he “isn’t feeling it today”. The WB gave it an all out attempt; I mean all out. He attacked and put 75 yards on us, before BW decided that he wasn’t going to let that happen. Another one for BW, as he shut it down with 5 seconds remaining. The surprise appearance of the Mac stunned us all. I think it was the WB who was the most affected by his company though. It started going south immediately as the Mac shows up mid interval, and barks some orders to the WB as he passes by. The Mac, just sat in, did his work, made his deposits at the bank and just got a little bit faster. O, he also rode us all back to our trucks, so he could get in the extra miles. As for myself, I realized that 20mph on a single speed is hard to maintain. An interesting note though: Going north (against the head wind) down at the bottom by the lake, I was able to ride with the boys, and even beat them a couple times. Going south (nice tail wind) I was getting dropped because I didn’t have enough gear. There appeared to be about a 4mph difference, depending on which direction you went.
All in all, these things are getting fun. The first few interval days hurt; mentally and physically. They start to come around though, and really become fun – in a sick way. But, whatever you do, don’t start doing them now (if you race against me).

7 comments:

BIG JIM said...

More fun to read about than to actually do.

bikechain said...

I heard about the Mac/WB meltdown. Mac's account was very funny. Interested in hearing WB's version.

Double Nought Seven said...

Who the hell is BW? That one has me confused. What's an interval? is that like the amount of time you sit at a traffic light waiting for the light to turn green?

RickySilk said...

I'm gonna have to meet you guys out there for some group therapy.

Human Wrecking Ball said...

I'd Like to fight back but I can't lift my arms.

bikediet said...

BW (Big Worm) aka Big Perm. Ric, cmon out, we could use some more speed. Why can't you lift your arms Lil T?

Spanish Mackerel said...

I was glad you guys were in the middle of an interval when I saw you and tried.....tried to give chase and catch up. I was seriously thinking "if this is their regular pace, I'm going to bonk, pass-out and flop over not 30 yds behind them, and they'll never know I was there".