Thursday, April 9, 2009

(Almost) Dead Rabbits


The Dead Rabbits was a gang in New York City in the 1850s originally part of the Roach Guards. The name has a second meaning rooted in Irish American vernacular of NYC in 1857. The word "Rabbit" is the phonetic corruption of the Irish word ráibéad, meaning "man to be feared". "Dead" was a slang intensifier meaning "very". Thus, a "Dead Ráibéad" means a man to be greatly feared.


So I'm driving to work and dreaming about snickers eggs and peeps. Out of nowhere I see this group of bunnies scattering at the sound of my engine and glare of headlights. Momma said never to swerve because she's seen a lot of people in ERs that swerved for any number of animals.
So I stayed the course but I did tap the brakes when one of the bunnies looked over his shoulder with a WTF cartoon face.
Something about the look said "not on Easter buddy." Most of them made it to the side of the road but one of them checked down with some redirection. As I passed over him I cringed and waited for the bump - the tell-tale sign of road kill. In a flash I was clear, no bump - no kill. Some would take this post as sign of sleep deprivation. I just say it's a sign that things work out. I hope I see all of the gang at BC this weekend.


Red Dragon

3 comments:

BIG JIM said...

So, you pulled an Elmer Fudd

bikediet said...

10-4

Mingo said...

long live the dead rabbits