Monday, July 26, 2010

Lions and Tigers and Bears! Oh My!




I'm still not entirely sure this ride happened. I went to sleep Saturday night, in a fevered state of soreness and exhaustion, after Big Jim Slade suckered me into another ride where he drops the ever loving bejeezus outta me, and leaves me for dead. I whimper and shake until sleep comes fitfully.

I awake to my own home, but something feels different; can't quite put my finger on it, but it's different. I head to the kitchen as if driven by some innate knowledge that I need to fuel for a ride. Everyone is out of town, though. Except BJS, and he sucks, but is trying to atone for his sins at church this morning.

As I eat my peanut butter and waffle sandwiches, and giggle to the humor of Sweet Home Alabama (You've got a baby.....in a bar!), there comes a gentle knock at my door. Who could it be? Mister Rogers? Captain Kangaroo? Even better, my mythical, magical satyr buddy, Spanish Mackeral is dressed and ready, with cross bike at hand!

A text message later confirms another myth in the flesh, everyone's favorite unicorn, the Red Cotton Candy Butcher Dragon of Boot Camp fame, is in en route.

We rolled out easy, amidst a hazy morning of pixie dust and talking blue birds. The 3 of us made our way to the Ochlockonee River Wildlife Management Area, to seek lost trail.(Lost to us anyway!) I was so blown away by the sheer fairy tale nature of riding with these 2 white elephants(not a fat joke), that I kept expecting to round the corner and see Asland the Lion, and the Mad Hatter having tea, or maybe Lil' Ronnie with hair!

In our quest this day, we battled many an evil thorn, a vicious horde of blood letting, battle mosquitoes, and apparently one shark, as I had to stop and pull 2 of his teeth from my front tire. It was a glorious day of victory, for 3 guys getting their old school, core group, ride on!

(You'll have to forgive the blurry nature of the pics. I simply had to document this event, but apparently the Narnia filter was still engaged.)



Who knew Satyrs and Unicorns were such good friends!

5 comments:

Mark said...

Awesome! For a couple reasons. I can't believe you updated the blog!!! I may go ride again now. Way too cool. And to miss out on that ride really sucks. Sounds like it was a cool ride. Definitely a cool group. I would like to do a ride like that one day; but as soon I do we would probably have other people like Jim and Terry show up.......

Kent said...

The ride was epic. It felt like 40 miles but was just over 20. I felt great and pretty much kept up until the top of Old Bainbridge Road - which Steve mistakenly pegged as "all downhill". They cracked me just after the light. In my defense I was in the big ring trying to keep up - going up... and I did not know when it would end. Bottom line it was a blast and I'm ready for more. may just have to build up a Frankenstein cyclocross...

Mingo said...

the best kind of ride

Human Wrecking Ball said...

Nice. I don't know why but I am feeling hate for all three of you.
Mark, I hope your daughter pisses in your gob on the next diaper change.

Kent said...

went back for a third read. This post is awesome. One of the best in a long time. Big ups, Worm.