Thursday, January 8, 2009

I (almost) got doored last night


So there I was doing all the wrong things. No rear light, no head light, no blinkie, no reflective clothing, reflectors removed from my Timbuk 2 bag, etc... Roll out from work around 5:30, blast down Richview, shred a piece of Fern and make a pitstop at the shop (for a biological). I get back on the bike and head down Goose Pond Trail. Fight the traffic on Centerville road/Blairstone (both directions) and pick Goose Pond back up. By the time I hit the climb on Hermitage - it's dark, I mean cloudy dark, I mean I'm going to get run over dark. So I limp up on the sidewalk trying to fool myself the knee will be OK in Felasco. As I sneak on to the access road/sidewalk behind Home Depot, I realize this is a bad time to remember the sidewalk does not go all the way to Raymond Diel. Now, it seemed like a good idea to ride through the construction site at the flyover, but I had to get there from here. So, as I am creeping through backed up traffic in the right hand left turn lane, wham! Out comes the passenger door of an SUV. A rich, punk kid in his buddy's SUV, spitting out a dip so momma won't smell it when he gets home. At least that is the story I make up because I hate him. I have no reason to hate him but it scared the crap out of me. I was lucky. I press on after swerving around the door - and exchanging glances. I can hear his muffled voice bark some redneck saying. I just have to get to Killearn, them I'll do a modified Thursday night loop to make it home. Commuting is addictive.



4 comments:

BIG JIM said...

Role on Red Dragon, Role on!

Juancho said...

No reason to hate him? Come on man, the list is so long!

bikediet said...

Yeh, BC, be a good roll modell. BTW, you should have ripped his door off the hinges.

BIGWORM said...

Hit that door like you're my size. That yuppie rube will rue the day! Rue the day? Who talks like that??!!