Monday, November 10, 2008

Ring a ding ding

Wow. I am really tired. Saturday was a very cool day. We held a birthday party for Ice Berg and myself at bikechain. The day started with a big off-road ride. By the time we got to the start of Cadillac, I had flatted twice. Fixed the flat and everybody took off. I gave chase and was blown up by the end of the roller coaster section. I was worried about making the rest of the ride. I caught an early second wind and pushed on with the "A group" out to the drop off. Pleased with myself, I could have easily turned around but silk had this evil grin that said it all - we will be pedaling. He led us out on a route that had me turned around. Big Worm weighed in with the best quote of the day - something like, "it may be soft and grassy, but it least it ain't fun."


The worm and I prefer single track but I was game because this type of riding is what I need. Finally we pop out and I figure out we are headed toward the greenway. To this point I had embraced the "miles" of pedaling but now I just wanted to click my heels three times. We get to the greenway and it was decided the A riders are going to head out for another 20 minutes. I filled my water bottle and looked towards town and realized my B rider crew had already pedaled out. I mounted up and gave chase. After about 20 minutes I had pretty much given up trying to catch Wrecking Ball and the worm. I finally reached the greenway parking lot and was looking forward to some easy miles on pavement. But wait, I spy my prey, and duck behind some cars. Slam it into the big ring and hammer. Wrecking Ball's startled look when he realized that I was drafting them was priceless. The double take and burst of laughter was worth the price of admission.


The after party - so we roll into bikechain and Wrecking Ball fetches some platters from Tijuana Flats. Ice Berg's mom soon arrives with a huge spread of food (Thanks Mom!) and a cake from Cupcake Steve. As the A riders trickle in we fire the grill and everybody has a good ole time telling stories of the day. Truly good food, good times.


Highlights for me - Berg wheelie'ng into and out of the shop, prank candles on the birthday cake and a really cool bike picture frame from the Bergs. Thanks to all - Red Dragon.

4 comments:

Human Wrecking Ball said...

It was a good day. I was gassed and had to go to a second cook out later that day. I had to force myself to eat and I have never been happier to get home.

bikediet said...

An extra 20 minutes? Be glad you didn't take that extra 40 minutes. It was fast. It was fun, already looking forward to the upcoming night party. Where can you buy masquerade type masks anyway?

BIG JIM said...

This B rider took a wrong turn and found himself riding solo. However, it was a good day of riding and eating. Thanks for putting it together.

BIGWORM said...

Whatever, Jim!! You're a solid A rider these days. You just gotta let go of those brakes!

It killed me to let those guys go for the longer loop. Longer would normaly be my thing. But with a month of wrecked consistency, thanks to my bum appendage, I just didn't see me staying on. I'd already been dropped at least twice.

For the record though, I thoroughly enjoyed cruising in with Bikechain and Wrecking Ball. Their yellow sign antics, after BC's teleportation trick, were better than any fireworks show I've ever seen.