Wednesday, July 8, 2009

GSC Race report

Well, I finally got ON the podium in expert. Not in the grass next to it, but ON it. 2nd place behind A.J., I'll take that. Some haters may argue that there was a low turnout, but I still beat out alot of fast guys in my class, and others as well. When I compare my past finishes and times to this past race, it is clear that I have made improvements over the rest of the feild. Not sure what it was; I mean I am really confused by it. It can only be one of two things: Mona Vie, or I am well rested. Maybe it is a combo of all the hard work I put in earlier in the season, with alot of rest lately. (by rest, I mean 3 hard 1.25 hour rides a week, with an occasional group ride thrown in and 3-5 gym visits per week) I have had no time to ride on most recent weekends. Hmmm, maybe everyone is just getting slower. Whatever, I gots my medal and I made all the boys stand around and wait for me to collect my paycheck baby!


So the trip itself was cool. That area of GA has this crazy lake that looks like a morph of a lake and a river. Lake Oconee I think. There seemed to be more boats in the water than people. It was insane. All the while during our pre-ride, we kept hearing the laughs and screams from nearby boats. The smell and sound of the outboards finally broke us down and we all decided to sell our bikes and get some boats. Yes, SOME. The plan is for BW to get a ski boat, bikediet gets the pontoon boat and BJS gets a cabin boat. The Mack already has a center console boat. We are going to do our best to not be complete losers anymore. So, if this all pans out I will need a new handle for blogging and bikechain.com won't really make sense in the boat world. boatnutrition just doesn't sound right. But, bikechain.com could turn into boatmotor.com - its got legs...


As far as the rest of the racing crew: BW got first place in Clydes and will most likely be the GSC series champion. He mainly just has to show up at the last race and collect his riches. BJS was a little less than pleased with his performance (still in the wood) and may be looking at 2nd overall in the GSC series. I think everyone needs to quit picking on BJS cause his mental game is lowing him down. So the next time you feel like cracking a joke, just praise him instead - will work wonders. The Mack raced to a thrid place finish, HOWEVER, due to a butterfly distraction 100 yards from the finish line, two guys got around him and pushed him back to fifth. Still, a very good finish considering his sickness for the previous week.


All in all, another good trip with the boys. Good food, good times.

8 comments:

bikechain said...

Been waiting for this. maybe motorboat.com. Congrats to all the racers...

RickySilk said...

good ride!

how was the course?

BIG JIM said...

I am amazing...I am amazing...I am amazing...shrink says if I just keep telling my self this...I am amazing...

bikediet said...

Jim, I can get that song for you that says those exact words - of course, you will have to start listening to rap.

Silk, the course was, well, hmmmm, I don't want to say crappy, but I can't think of anything else. Take the one of the best lake and park/land areas - think of the potential, then throw about 5 miles of Tallahassee's worst singletrack in. Yeh, it had some very fun stuff, a wooden berm, some switchbacks, fast ridgeline 25mph stuff - but it had the TWS too.

BIGWORM said...

I was completely aggravated about the course on Saturday. Marcus had to keep telling us to stop bitchin'. On Sunday, I rode the ultra tight start singletrack as part of my warm up, and all my aggravations just melted away. Not sure why. Anyway, while there were a ton of really poorly planned corners, I started to find what little rhythm there was, and wound up having a good time. I suppose that's a lot easier when there is no one in your class, and you're just riding your laps without worrying about unadulterated speed.

Mark's right about potential. A visit from IMBA would do wonders for that trail.

bikediet said...

I just remembered the section of trail that spits you out on slick rock right at the shore line - it looks like you are going to have to ride through the lake. And other slich rock sections were cool too.

Spanish Mackerel said...

The last section leading into the wooden berm and just after, was pretty sweet. That included the slick rock-ride in the lake section.

For me personally the best part of the race was the start. Marcus yelling "go right!", so I go right and get the holeshot with a stupid huge gap! The ultra tight singletrack helped me run from the haters but with each open section they gained. On second thought....my favorite part of the race was getting to ride with my boy bigworm! What a special treat that was..the joy!! The love!!!

FYI the "butterfly" moment manifested itself in the form of a gold F-150 trying to pull off the main road and park.

Double Nought Seven said...

Hey I put up a new posy tonight, so maybe i ma back